Monday, March 7, 2011

Hot n spicy pulled pork

When we moved from our apartment to the house a couple
of months ago my husband (yes, I actually CAN blame this
on him!) forgot/lost/threw away the lid for my crock pot.
Even since I've been trying to get him to buy me a new one.
Last week he finally surprised me (gave in) and bought
me a brand spankin new crock pot! I've been super excited
to try out a couple of recipes I found online, and last night
I made Spicy Pulled Pork from Martha Stewart,


You will need..

1 medium onion, diced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 dried bay leaves
1 chipotle, in adobo sauce, minced
1 tablespoon adobo sauce
1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
1 can (14.5 ounces) whole tomatoes in puree
2 teaspoons coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
2 3/4 pounds boneless pork shoulder, trimmed and halved crosswise (I couldn't find a pork shoulder smaller than 10lbs in the store so I bought tenderloin instead)
Flour tortillas, lightly toasted, for garnish (optional) (I used toasted pitabread)
Grated cheddar cheese, for garnish (optional)
Sour cream, for garnish (optional)
  1. In a 5-quart slow cooker, combine onion, oregano, bay leaves, chipotle, adobo sauce, tomatoes (and purée), salt, and pepper. Add pork; toss to coat with sauce.
  2. Cover; cook on high setting until meat is pull-apart tender, about 6 hours (do not uncover while cooking).
  3. Transfer meat to a large bowl; shred with forks, discarding any gristle. Return meat to pot; toss with sauce.
  4. To serve, discard bay leaves; if desired, garnish with tortillas and cheddar or sour cream.

Me and Mr.Viking really enjoyed the dish. It was spicy, but not toooo spicy
and I put the leftovers in the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment